Sunday, December 6

si tenggang's homecoming

i stumbled upon my old book after i prayed in my sister's room, and out of interest i took out the book from the shelf, and begin browsing through the pages. i knew it was my old book because it bore my laundry number on the side, a number given to me after i went to boarding school for my upper secondary education.

while reading some of the poems in the book, one particular poem, written by our local poet, Muhammad Haji Salleh grab my utmost attention. i'm sure most of you guys who did form 4 knows about the poem, but time has made us forgot. and we should not have forgotten. the title of the poem was chosen as the title for this post, for i can't think of any other that is more suitable. here's an excerpt from the poem,

but look,
i have brought myself home,
seasoned by confidence,
broadened by land and languages,
i am no longer afraid of the oceans
or the differences between people,
not easily fooled
by words or ideas.
as i read through the poem words by words, i somehow felt that the poem is patriotic. before this, back in form 4, i might have learnt everything about 'si tenggang's homecoming', inside out, but i probably did not truly understand the meaning that the writer tried to express.

however, having went abroad myself to further my studies, the words in the poem seems to be reflecting about everyone who went out of their comfort zone. those who went through the tides and waves of the real world, gaining experiences and learning knowledge they never would have if they stayed where they used to be. and that has made them who they are today, full of wisdom and knowledge.

No comments: